On September 24th 1927, a group of citizens met at the once Pleasant View Hotel located on Friedensburg Road to establish fire protection services for their community. The founding officers were elected: President- James W Stitzel, Secretary- Harry Decker, Treasurer- Jarius Romig, Trustees- Ralph Ubil, Calvin Drumheller and Henry Berg. The group unanimously agreed the new organization should adopt the name:
Community Volunteer Fire Company of Lower Alsace Township.
On October 30th 1927 the first meeting of The Lower Alsace Fire Company was called to order in a garage at Roosevelt and Columbia avenues, the future site of the Firehouse and Beneficial Association. In January of 1928 the charter was read and placed in the hands of the Trustees.
In February, the company by-laws were enacted. During the same February meeting, Mr. Tobias Knoblauch offered the fire company two lots of land for the price of one dollar. Ground was broken for the original building, which is now the Lower Alsace beneficial Association, in April and was completed in September of 1928. In April 1928 a Knox Chemical fire apparatus was purchased from the City of Reading for $250.
In October of 1928, the Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Community Volunteer Fire Company of Lower Alsace Township was organized. The founder officers were: President- Mrs Harry Decker, Recording Secretary- Mrs James Stitzel, Financial Secretary- Miss Pearl Faust, and Treasurer- Mrs Lee Homan.
In June of 1930, a drive was made for funds to purchase new fire apparatus. $2100.00 were collected from the community and used to make the first payment on a Mack Pumper with a 500 gallon per minute pump, booster tank and Foamite generator
Copyright © 2021 Lower Alsace Volunteer Fire Company - All Rights Reserved.